The little things...

With my past tucked into my back pocket and my eye on the future I can see how far I have come in my goal to be a more ecologically responsible person. In small steps, a bit at a time, I have reworked my habits and behaviors so that now being "green" more naturally, and I am always looking for ways to improve.

Small though they were, I am proud of those steps I have taken. Where once I would quietly curse myself for never remembering to bring my canvas totes with me to the grocery, now I find myself carrying them everywhere, triumphantly declaring "no thanks, brought my own" to every query "paper or plastic?"

There was a time when I would pout and discard those less popularly-numbered plastics, thinking "what a shame the seven is not recycled here." Now I find myself jealously hoarding every container and bag that comes my way, dreaming up new ways to reuse them. Thinking back on it now, it is surprising that it was not innate to gather those unwanted plastic containers, for my mom was notorious for reusing all manner of tubs, buckets and lidded cups. I suppose it only goes to show that some things one has to learn the "hard way," ie: on one's own.

Of course, my husband is with me every step of the way! We put our two heads together and come up with some new and interesting ways to get around making more waste, to get the most out of those things that we absolutely must throw away at some point, from rewetting markers to hanging half-used paper towels out to dry (before we realised we could simply use cloth towels and rags exclusively).

Proud as we are of our small victories, we vow to not allow ourselves to become complacent and stop moving forward with this, our most precious personal goal. We are always looking for new ways to recycle, reduce, and reuse. Thus this blog was sprouted, out of need for communication with like-minded individuals.

And so we offer up helpful answers, tips and what we hope will be interesting, if not also helpful, personal anecdotes on the challenges and triumphs of us two "greenies"

No comments: